MILDRED MILLIGAN SCHOLARSHIP COMPETITION
Sunday March 3rd, 2019
St. Luke’s Presbyterian Church, 8915 Timberside Drive, Houston, TX 77025
- The contestant as well as his/her teacher must both be current members of the Greater Houston Chapter of the American Harp Society (AHS). Membership to the national AHS is not required.
- Music must be memorized. Repeats are optional, unless otherwise stated.
- You must present two copies and the originals of both the required piece and your free choice piece at the competition.
- Both pieces must have each measure numbered.
- If you have won first place in a division, you are not eligible to compete in that division again. However, you would be eligible to compete in a more advanced division.
- You are welcome to compete in a more advanced division than your actual grade level, but not a less advanced division.
Contestants may be disqualified if there is any disregard to rules.
- A category deemed too large may be split into two groups—the schedule will reflect this.
- First place winners in each category will perform both required and free choice pieces for the May or September meeting of the Houston Harp Chapter. Second and Third place winners will perform their free choice piece for the May or September meeting of the Houston Harp Chapter. Equivalent pieces may substituted as needed.
DAY OF THE COMPETITION:
- Students can provide their own instruments. A pedal harp and a lever harp will be available for use if requested. Assistance in moving harps will be available.
- Please dress professionally, and bring a sweater/jacket—the building can be chilly.
- Contestants will NOT perform behind a screen.
- Contestants will be given their specific performance time after registration has closed. Please plan your arrival to allow yourself plenty of time to be tuned, warmed up, and ready to play.
- No judge will serve in a division in which they have a student.
- The decisions of the judges are final.
- Contestants will be escorted to warm-up rooms following check in. Contestants will be notified in advance when they are next to perform and then escorted into the recital hall for their performances.
- Please do not talk in the hallways. Behavior must be respectful and courteous. As in any competition, noises are distracting and inconsiderate.
- All contestants as well as family, friends, and teachers are welcome to observe performances.
- Winners will be announced following completion of each category.
- All contestants will receive a certificate and a comment sheet on their performance.
- St. Luke’s Presbyterian Church is located inside Loop 610, off of South Braeswood, halfway between Buffalo Speedway and Stella Link. It is right across the street from Longfellow Elementary School. The Milligan Competition will take place inside the main building.